August 29, 2009

Z-Day Chapter I

I felt a slight jerk in my chest as I ran down the street, sweat pouring down my face, I was at a shortness of breath. I stopped at the next intersection, I heard my brother screaming at me; "Minato, hurry! They're coming, they'll kill you, hurry!"

Hearing that made my eyes bulge, I immediately sprang back up, running as fast as my tired body would allow. Just then it felt like my heart was trying to force its way through my throat. I had stupidly tripped over a small piece of debris. My hands flew above my head, I hit my chin on the hard concrete. I looked up and couldn't see my brother, he left me, I tasted blood. Everything got blurry, I flipped over on my back, and in the last bit of consciousness I had left I saw a lumbering figure, I felt a huge pain in my face, and blacked out.

I later awoke staring into utter blackness. I looked around and saw the same lack of light. There was a faint and rhythmic sound in the distance, I listened close, trying to focus on what it was. They were footsteps, loud ones. I turned my head slightly and added to the now louder footsteps was a faint light from what I could only guess was a hallway. As it got closer I analyzed the shadows, they looked like bars, I was in a cell!

Bro, you were wrong. I think to myself in a sarcastic way knowing I may die soon. I tried to pick up my arms and heard a slight jingle, chains.

"Dammit!" I yell aloud and the footsteps got louder, and faster, it was running now. I bowed my head, this would be it, I shut my eyes tight, waiting for Death to come, a knife, or, a sword, or a gunshot, but nothing. I opened my eyes slowly, feeling a moment of peace, until I looked up, there was the outline of a man, and down where his hand was there was a small glint. He unlocked the cell doors and swung them open violently, he walked up to me and shoved something into my neck, I expected Death to overcome me, but ti didn't, instead there was a light headed feeling, he took my blood.

He pulled something out of his back pocket, it was too dark to tell what, he inserted some of my blood into the machine, there was a series of soft beeps, and one loud one, he knelt down by me, unlocked the chains, and helped me up.

"You're clean," the outline says in an unemotional voice.

1 comment: